Thursday, June 03, 2004

Neon? Cardinal? Tetras still!

Made an effort to wake up very early this morning as I had relief tuition. Well, supposedly! Reached the centre @ 9am. Selena, Minah & Akbar were there but no students around. Hmm... I got into one of the classrooms and switched on the air-con.

Half an hour later, still no students. Not a soul. Had they forgotten? Were they informed? I spent another half an hour calling up their homes. 2 were away for camp, 1 has withdrawn just last month. The 4th student could not be reached. And I am up early morning doing nothing!

I had thought of going to Woodlands Library once tuition was over. In the meantime, I helped out Minah with her bundle of T-shirts. Amazingly Minah was hungry... @ 11.30am. =P

Akbar, Minah & I left for lunch @ 12.30pm. Lunch treat from Minah for helping her out. Went to Banquet and had Mee Poh dry. Thank you!

Akbar and Minah headed back to their office after that. I headed home. My dump bag weighed a ton, killing my left shoulder. Cleared out all rubbish, then left for Woodlands Library.

Read up books on freshwater fish - Characins in particular. Dayah has a small tank of Tetras. She has been keeping fish eversince I brought home a plastic bag of fishes in a small pail from the Crocodile Farm. Unknown to both of us, there was a pregnant fish in that plastic bag. Within 3 days, her collection grew in abundance. Dayah said she accidentally flushed down some fry while changing water, some got eaten up by other fish and eventually all her fishes died. The pail was left overturned for quite a long while. I guess she was not prepared then.

No more pail of fishes now. She has upgraded to a small tank, 30cm by 14cm, of Neon & Cardinal Tetras. At a glance, they look the same - neon stripes. Look closer and one will notice the difference - only cardinals have red underlying stripes from head to fin. She has one pregnant fish now. Just hoping that Dayah gets a plant for it to spawn soon. Gotta put those Tetras in another tank after that. They are quite avid egg-eaters!