Sunday, January 15, 2006

Granduncle

Yesterday Mum told me that my maternal granduncle had been admitted to hospital. In JB and he's in a coma.

He & wife had returned to JB during the Raya Aidiladha. On that fateful Friday, they were riding back to Singapore when his bike made noise. Grandaunt requested to stop while he tinkered with the bike. He stood up and collapsed.

Last year when we visited him for Raya Aidilfitri, he had retired to bed. Been visiting him since I was young but do you know that I had no idea how he was related to me? Discovered it only couple years back.

Anyway for some odd reason, I couldn't sleep last night. I laid on bed reading a book, hoping that I will doze off eventually. The book ended with me still wide awake. I was only glad that I'm in this state on a Saturday night. Started thinking about school, laptop and then granduncle.

I remember looking at the cuckoo clock. It was 1 am. Granduncle used to tease me when I was young. We weren't close but being the jovial guy he is, makes me smile without fail. Then the telephone rang.

The news I received from my aunt confirmed my senses.

Al-Fatihah...