Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The crawling disaster

Last week Md Ehsan started crawling. Just a mere 2 steps before he stopped and sat back to look around. We encouraged and enticed him with toys and stuffs. But he wouldn't budge at all. He stayed put with his 2-step crawl.

Meow?

During that week Md Ehsan also discovered a new trick. Much to the amusement of his grandparents, he will crawl 2 steps before dropping himself to the bed. So it became 1 step, 2 step, PLOP. My parents laughed because it was cute. He kept on doing it because it was new. Must have been tiring for him to keep watching out for his butt. That is, until he started to crawl in the living hall.

His grandparents watched as he crawled on the rubber mats. 1 step, 2 step... KLUNK! Md Ehsan slipped a hand and fell sideways, his chin hitting the floor. That incident gave him a phobia after that.

Onward to the present, Md Ehsan can crawl now. Albeit slowly. But he dares only do it on beds and other soft surfaces.

There I was enticing him with those bunny shoes. He was more attracted to my comb. Sigh.

I carried him down to the floor after that. Lay him down and leave him to his antics. Can you believe it? He didn't move. Not even a rollover. Alamak, hero. What happened? He didn't like it one bit and started crying. I helped him to sit up before moving away from him. He looked at me as I got ready to leave my room for work.

Finally, I stood at the room door and called out to him, "Md Ehsan, come. Auntie's going to work."

First he looked at me and clapped his hands on the floor. I didn't move. Next he drew up his arms like a bird spreading wings. Wah, he is definitely exercising his brains there. Then he put his hands forward on the floor. Half-sitting & half-kneeling, Md Ehsan butt-shuffled his way to me.

Hmm, not exactly my desired expectation. But at least I got him to move. Looks like I will have to put him down on the floor more often for him to practice. Any suggestions, frens?

Thank you Auntie Joyah. He squeezed it, crumpled it, tasted and nibbled at it. Finally screamed when his Grandma took it away from his grasp.