Saturday, July 14, 2007

That could have been it.

Towards end of last month, I received a sms from my cousin during lunch hour. News about organising a dinner gathering amongst the "senior" cousins. I was surprised. Considering the fact that the only time we do meet is either during some family functions like kenduri or of late, the engagements and weddings of cousins... that idea is unheard of. Nevertheless, subjected to availability, I was game.

I proceeded to reply asking for the venue, time and day. Smsed my younger sister to check if she had received news about it, then I went about doing my errands. Some time later, I was updated via sms that the initiators were another 2 cousins. She was just relaying the message to those not in their loop. Basically the idea was still being sketched out. Nothing confirmed as yet. Right away, I wondered. Not even a day?

Back from lunch, I chatted with my younger sister. She had assumed I knew details about it. Since there were none, we didn't discuss much. What's there to begin with? The following morning, we informed our parents about the upcoming dinner gathering. Naturally they asked the usual questions - where & when. We shrugged and told them to keep it in view.

Weeks have since passed.

On the other hand, out of the blue I received another sms from my cousin last Wednesday. It was on a very short notice - an invitation to her housewarming gathering. But added on to it were the time, the date and even address of the venue. I thanked her, blocked out the slot of my schedule and made the necessary arrangements.

See the difference?

Friday came. I hurried home after work, got stuck in the peak hour traffic with a full bladder and was practically running when I alighted at the bus stop. My family arrived in the midst of the doa recitation and we ladies quickly scurried to the back with Md Ehsan in tow. I took a good look and noticed that while most of my uncles & aunts were there, majority of the "senior" cousins were nowhere to be seen. Work commitments I guess.

I'm not saying everyone is available at a moment's notice. More on the contrary actually. But if you begin with nothing in plan, then... you can go figure.


p.s: Happy 17th month, little boy. Grandma is jealous of your morning kisses to me. Don't stop ah. Not until you get a galfren. You start kissing other gals after that, I will hammer you!